Mechanical Tooling Engineer III/IV (368-378)
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia US
Job Number: 316
Framatome is seeking a Mechanical Engineer for the Component Repair and Replacement (CR&R) Tooling and Equipment Engineering organization in Lynchburg, VA. We are a highly responsive service organization that develops solutions for the challenges of the nuclear industry. We thrive on advancing existing technologies and developing new technologies to ensure the long-term, safe operation of an aging nuclear fleet. Our teams use mechanical, electrical, software, and computer design skills to create equipment to replace, remediate, and repair primary system reactor components. The CR&R Tooling Engineering Group works closely with our Field Operations, Component Engineering, and Analysis organizations to implement solutions for our utility customers.
The ideal candidate must have a desire to work on a fast paced product development team where our primary customer is the CR&R Field Operations group, who must successfully implement our products at customer sites. Typical applications are remote controlled machining, welding, Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), and surface improvement tools. We start with an identified customer need, develop a repair concept and follow it through fabrication, testing, and its final usage at a customer site.
The successful candidate must be very hands-on and self-motivated with the ability to work independently in an environment comprised of mechanical and electro-mechanical engineers and technicians. The selected individual will design tooling parts and assemblies in Solidworks 3D CAD and prepare production drawings. The selected individual will meet or establish design criteria for tooling required to operate in high radiation environments and/or underwater applications. The selected individual will design single and multi-axis manipulators, lifting devices, machine tools, welding tools, EDM tools, hardware modifications, and design of partial, full-scale mockup components. The selected individual will design hydraulic and pneumatic systems required to operate and control these specialized tools. The selected individual will also write the operating instructions and procedures related to their equipment, and train the labor that will use the equipment as well as deploy to site for the project.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity. Candidates who exceed minimum qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
- Engineer III: BS in Engineering/Engineering Tech plus 3-5 years of engineering experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for related experience. (MS 1-2 years or PhD 1-3 years). In applicable states a PE license will be accepted in lieu of a 4 year engineering degree.
- Engineer IV: BS in Engineering/Engineering Tech plus 5-7 years of engineering experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for related experience. (MS 1-2 years or PhD 1-3 years). In applicable states a PE license will be accepted in lieu of a 4 years engineering degree.
- Proficient in SolidWorks CAD and SmarTeam PLM
- Proficiency in tooling or machinery design
- Experience specifying mechanical and electro-mechanical subcomponents
- Able to communicate effectively in oral, written and presentation formats
- Machining and welding experience
- Strong hands-on work skills for equipment/tooling assembly, checkout, testing, refurb/repair, and on-site troubleshooting
- Must be able to obtain unescorted commercial nuclear facility site access, which means a clear criminal history and passing controlled substance drug/alcohol testing
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position.
- Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic actuation systems.
- Experience with fabrication processes and additive manufacturing.
- Experience with inter-disciplinary design and collaboration combining mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, electronics, electrical, software, etc.
- Careful and methodical approach with good attention to detail
- Creativity and innovation
- Proven self-starter, able to work / think independently, and budget time across multiple tasks with a desire to see projects through to completion
Travel: Up to 20% travel
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Location Lynchburg, Virginia, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Job Number: 368-378
Community / Marketing Title: Mechanical Tooling Engineer III/IV (368-378)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Lynchburg, Virginia US