Mechanical Designer II-III/Design Engineer (335-378)
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia US
Job Number: 288
Framatome is seeking a Mechanical Designer for our international design team that supports CANDU reactor products. Specifically lead the mechanical design efforts for ISOGEN. Our Installed Base America (IBA) Business Line is responsible for supporting operating commercial nuclear plants around the world with various products and services of a highly technical nature. The Engineering Department provides engineering services to both internal customers (i.e. other Framatome Business Units) and external customers. The Engineering Department is responsible for delivering engineering products of all kinds (reports, calculations, designs, analyses, design change packages, assessments), ranging from single documents to comprehensive modification packages for complex design changes. This group consists of multiple teams. The right candidate will be part of the Mechanical Engineering Team.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Design of process equipment for the application of isotopes production in a Canadian nuclear power reactor
- Design mechanical systems that satisfy applicable mechanical standards, human factors, installation/cost, and maintenance best practices.
- Oversee field work including new installations, integration into existing systems, and troubleshooting as required.
- Ensure components and assemblies adhere to applicable industry and business standards
- Consults with engineering staff and technicians/craft to ensure compliance with design specifications and plant or industry standards.
- Apply advanced techniques in CAD and incorporate standard design applications.
- Start up, commissioning, operations, and maintenance of process and production equipment and associated facilities and support systems.
- Adhere to applicable Framatome procedures and quality program.
- Work within client's Engineering Change Control process.
- Communicate and work closely with client stakeholders to ensure high level of customer satisfaction for engineering deliverables and service.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of Framatome's standards and effectiveness in the industry.
- May mentor more junior engineers within Framatome
- Solves a range of straightforward problems, analyzes solutions and assesses each using standard procedures.
- Receives assistance and instructions on unusual or more complex features and possible solutions, as needed.
- Ensures compliance with government, organization and customer engineering standards.
- Independently evaluates, selects and applies standard technical techniques, procedures, and criteria using judgement in making minor adaptations and modifications.
- Builds knowledge of organization processes and customers.
- Works on special projects, as directed.
- Performs other related duties and tasks, as required.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity. Candidates who exceed minimum qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
- BS Mechanical Engineering plus 10 years minimum experience of design work
- Experience designing tooling and hardware for nuclear power stations.
- Strong knowledge of engineering codes and standards related to the Nuclear Industry
- Strong knowledge of pressure boundary codes and standards (CSA B51, ASME B31.1, B31.3, ASME Section III),
- Mechanical, Piping, Equipment Layouts, Machine Design
- Key competencies: Strategic Thinking, Results Orientation, Situational Thinking, Customer Orientation.
- Good communication skills including the ability to comprehend and convey detailed technical data.
- Ability to develop and maintain good interpersonal working relationships.
- Strong analytical, problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Familiarity with maintenance or project engineering in an industrial/commercial facility.
- Well organized, with attention to detail
- Proficiency with PC-based applications such as MS Office
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position.
- Current Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario (PEng, PEO)
- 10+ years design experience in a manufacturing environment. Metal fabrication (Machining, Sheetmetal, Welding, Forming, etc.)
- Knowledge of engineering codes and standards related to the Canadian Nuclear Industry (eg. CSA N286, CSA N285)
- Knowledge of Canadian-specific pressure boundary codes and standards (CSA B51)
- Familiar with AutoCAD Vault PDM system, AutoCAD P&ID, Solidworks Routing
- Knowledge of OSHA, standards related to machine guarding
- 5+ years Solidworks and/or AutoCAD design experience
Travel: Domestic and International travel is up to 10%. Planned travel to support engineering activities.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Location Lynchburg, Virginia, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Job Number: 335-378
Community / Marketing Title: Mechanical Designer II-III/Design Engineer (335-378)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Lynchburg, Virginia US