Engineer II-IV Core Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis (243-378)
Location: Lynchburg, Virginia US
Job Number: 207
Framatome Fuel Engineering directly supports the reactor core design needs for US Region Light Water Reactor PWR commercial operation. We provide the leading support and coordination for reactor core fuel management development, design, licensing, safety analysis, and methods development required to support any commercial PWR reactor design.
FDC-AL, PWR Core Design and Safety Analysis - Lynchburg, performs a full range of neutronics, thermal-hydraulics, safety analysis, and fuel management tasks. We also support the thermo-mechanical and mechanical fuel designs and analyses. FDC-AL represents an international design team within the Framatome corporate team.
Within FDC-AL, the Core Thermal Hydraulics analysis team performs a wide variety of tasks that include the following :
- Supports reload licensing analyses for a range of commercial PWR plants in the US.
- Perform engineering service projects for customers, as needed
- Work with customers on emergent issues relating to plant operation, licensing, or methods
- Supports the application, development and licensing of advanced analytical methods or computer codes
- Work with Contracts and Services to support bids and proposals, as needed
- Internal support including but not limited to: Guideline development and maintenance, code modification requests, and resolution of quality issues
Core Thermal-Hydraulics analysis engineer will prepare and apply nuclear reactor thermal-hydraulic principles and TH models for plant safety analyses and is involved in the preparation of engineering documents. Duties include supporting regular customer interaction and related engineering disciplines to resolve complex technical issues and provide high quality engineering solutions.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Perform design and safety analyses to support the design and licensing of Framatome fuel for commercial light water reactors.
- Conduct analyses involving the use of engineering computer codes to assess plant system thermal hydraulic performance, and transient analyses to demonstrate that licensing requirements are satisfied, particularly COBRA based sub-channel codes such as LYNXT, XCOBRA-IIIC or COBRA-FLX.
- Interface with Framatome European counterparts to support Light Water Reactor projects.
- Participate in and support interface with regulatory authorities and design services customers to obtain regulatory approval of the Framatome reactor core design and methods.
- Analyses are performed to support core design and licensing, assess proposed changes in fuel designs or operating strategies, evaluate changes in analytical methods, and support reactor functional design specifications and requirements.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity. Candidates who exceed minimum qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
- Engineer II : BS in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or related Engineering field plus 2-3 years of engineering experience.
- Engineer III : BS in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or related Engineering field plus 3-5 years of engineering experience.
- Engineer IV : BS in Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, or related Engineering field plus 5-7 years of engineering experience.
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills and a pro-active approach to problem identification and resolution.
- Fundamental computer skills (Word, Excel).
- Ability and attitude to learn a variety of new procedures, processes, and tools, while maintaining various stages of production.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced atmosphere.
- Ability to work in a team environment, communicates effectively, and takes initiative to meet customer requirements.
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position.
- Prior experience specifically in Nuclear Engineering, Core Loading Pattern Development, Core Physics, Thermal Hydraulic analyses, or System engineering
- Prior experience using sub-channel codes (e.g. XCOBRA-IIIC, LYNXT, COBRA-FLX, COBRA-TF, VIPRE, etc.)
- Exposure to computer programming and scripting in FORTRAN, PYTHON, and C++
- Proficiency with LINUX environments
- Understanding of aspects of US NRC regulatory oversight as it applies to engineering methodologies
- Experience with development and maintenance of work processes (e.g. guidelines)
- Experience in leading and developing others
- Experience with methodology development
- Experience with cross functional and cross discipline teams
- Proven record of customer communication and collaboration skills
- Record of good time management and prioritization skills under pressure
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Location Lynchburg, Virginia, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Job Number: 243-378
Community / Marketing Title: Engineer II-IV Core Thermal-Hydraulic Analysis (243-378)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Lynchburg, Virginia US