BWR Neutronics Codes & Methods Engineer (306-378)
Location: Richland, Washington US
Job Number: 266
The BWR Core Design (Engineering) Department in Richland consists of both the BWR Neutronics domain and the BWR Thermal-Hydraulics domain. The BWR Codes and Methods group is responsible for the maintenance and evolution of codes and methods supporting both domains. The Neutronics Richland domain directly supports the reactor core design and reload licensing analysis needs for BWR fuel customers including, for most BWR customers, online core monitoring. The department performs a full range of neutronics, fuel management, and safety analysis of the fuel and core design including ongoing development of codes and methods as well as maintenance of existing codes and methods used in those analyses. BWR neutronics engineers are involved in developing nuclear fuel and core designs and analysis methods, establishing mechanical and fuel design safety limits, including evaluation of critical heat flux during normal operation and transient events, and developing neutronic and thermal-hydraulic code inputs and methods to support the fuel reload analyses and plant operations.
The Neutronics Richland department works closely with other engineering departments (mechanical, thermal-hydraulic, materials), customers, Project Management, and regulators. As part of the worldwide Fuel Design organization at Framatome, Neutronics Richland interfaces with FD Neutronics organizations at other locations in France, German, and the U.S. As part of the U.S. Fuel Business Unit, Neutronics Richland interfaces with the fuel manufacturing plant, which is also located in Richland.
Framatome is seeking a BWR Neutronics Codes & Methods Engineer for our Richland, WA location. This position works as part of a team that often also includes engineers from other Fuel Design engineering departments to develop, improve, and maintain BWR Neutronics Codes & Methods, including automation systems and online core monitoring systems.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- On-going maintenance of the current BWR reload methods, maintenance of engineering automation systems, and the development of state of the art next generation BWR reload analysis methods APOLLO-2A/ARTEMIS-2.
- Codes and Methods engineers work together with reload design and licensing analysis engineers to continue improvement and maintenance of methods and automation tools and to ensure successful delivery of fuel reload design and analysis products to BWR customers.
- Work closely with the reload design and applications engineering teams toward the shared goal of meeting customer needs and delivering products to customers.
- Some interaction and collaboration with Fuel Design groups outside of Richland could also be part of the role.
- Maintaining and supporting the POWERPLEX-XD online core monitoring system and for the development of the next generation online core monitoring system.
- May interface with personnel from the U.S. regulator, the NRC - typically there are multiple such interactions each calendar year.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements in order to be considered for this opportunity. Candidates who exceed minimum qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
- Principal Engineer/Supervisor: BS in Nuclear Engineering plus 7-10 years of experience in reactor physics or fuel management engineering experience.
- An advanced engineering degree may be substituted for related work experience (MS 1-2 years or PhD 1-3 years).
The following requirements are desired and will be used to differentiate all candidates who apply for this position.
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD)
- Licensed PE
- Work experience in the areas of neutronics/physics of nuclear fuel assemblies, core reload analysis, and associated codes & methods for BWR reactors.
- Experience with MCNP.
- Experience with nuclear fuel neutronics analysis spectral/lattice codes (CASMO-3, CASMO-4, APOLLO) and core simulator codes (SIMULATE, MICROBURN-B2) with application to BWR reactors.
- Computer programming/software capabilities/experience in FORTRAN, C/C++, and PYTHON.
- Basic experience and capabilities with MICROSOFT Office software products (WORD, EXCEL, etc.).
- Experience working with engineering workstation computers and LINUX and/or UNIX operating environments
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Display pro-active approach to problem identification and resolution.
- Ability and attitude to learn a variety of new procedures, processes, and tools, while maintaining various stages of production.
- Able to work well in a fast-paced team environment.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Job Location Richland, Washington, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular
Job Number: 306-378
Community / Marketing Title: BWR Neutronics Codes & Methods Engineer (306-378)
Location_formattedLocationLong: Richland, Washington US